Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Morning Shadows



Here is my second offering for the water themed show. This scene was so appealing to me, I just kept taking picture after picture as my grandson quietly played with some horseshoes at the edge of the lake. The shadows cast by the trees and the glistening ripples rolling in were creating these beautiful patterns and colors that were irresistible. Later, as I reviewed the images, I noticed that the stripes and print of his clothes were mimicking those natural designs. When the theme of 'water' was announced for this show, I knew I had to do this!

Again, I'm having trouble with a title. 'Morning Shadows' sounds sad to me. Something better will come to me, I hope.

20"x10", Prismacolor and Coloursoft Pencils on Ampersand Pastelbord

7 comments:

hbedrosian said...

This is stunningly beautiful, Liz! It looks like an award winner to me!

Alvin Richard said...

Outstanding piece Liz, one of my favorite of yours. The light and colors are complex and perfect. The palette reminds me of Auguste Renoir.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Wow! That is beautiful, Liz. Congratulations.

Elizabeth A Patterson said...

Thank you, all!

I just discovered that your comments were "waiting in the wings", never having received email notification! (Thanks, Holly, for alerting me!)

I am humbled by your comments, and greatly encouraged!

Debbi said...

Hi Liz, I finally met you at our Chapter meeting last Saturday and have really enjoyed checking out your blog. I love your two water pieces for the show in Newport. They are so different and yet both are filled with wonderful and delicate detail and control of color. And an unusual and convincing perspective on the still-life! I'm looking forward to seeing them in person.

Gillian Mowbray said...

Another tour de force and I'm amazed that you work so large - this would take me months just for the first stages! Love the composition too.
Thanks for your comment the other day - and for missing me. All is well. ^_^ x

Elizabeth A Patterson said...

Thanks so much,Debbi, I enjoy your blog, too!

I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the art at the opening on Saturday, and the people as well.

Two weekends in a row of art-related excitement!