Monday, February 7, 2011

Maine Blueberries



This tiny, three inch square drawing is my part of a collaborative project by the New England chapter of the Colored Pencil Society of America. We members are creating a montage of these minis to represent our group at the 2011 CPSA conference in July, in Dallas.

It was pleasant to work on this close-up view of low bush blueberries while the only thing growing around here was snow and ice! I used a new material, called Pastelmat, which is a heavy paper with a sanded surface. The grit is finer than the Pastelbord, which I usually use. Layering of colors was more limited, and the texture was quickly covered, but I think I'll be trying a few more pieces with it. I'm heading to Florida for a week, so don't be surprised if a seashell drawing shows up here soon!

6 comments:

hbedrosian said...

Beautiful! It reminds me of picking blueberries when I was little (we had a tone of blueberry bushes in our backyard in NH.)

Have fun in Florida!

Unknown said...

Its so beautiful! Thats a great idea! I just learned that our cincinnati CPSA is hosting the 2012 convention! I might get to meet you!

Gillian Mowbray said...

I love to see small pieces and this is a gem!
By the way, I like Pastelmat very much. We can't get Pastelbord here so it's a real blessing! It takes very well to wet techniques should you wish to underpaint too.

Kathy said...

Love this! I can't wait to see all the art pieces displayed together.

D. A. Bickford said...

I just LOVE colored pencils and this is lovley! Thanks for following Saco River Art League!

Elizabeth A Patterson said...

Holly, thanks! It is definitely an up close and personal view of blueberry picking!

Hi Katherine, and thank you. Wow, you're lucky to be hosting the convention! You won't have to make that big travel decision! :~)

Gillian, thank you... I like the little pieces, too! And I will definitely be using the Pastelmat again. Thanks for the tip!

Hi Kathy, yes it's going to be fun to put together! Sorry we missed each other last week. Hope to see you in April!

Hello Debra! Thanks so much. I actually might meet you this week at the SRAL meeting...